Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Guest Post: !5 British Music Artists You Should Be Listening To

Editor`s Note: The next is a guest post from Amie Taylor on what she thinks are the Top British bands and musicians that Anglophiles should be listening to. Thanks Amie!

Music from across The Pool has been a fascination of mine my whole life, it seems, and I get my parents to profusely thank for initially putting me on the proper track.

My early childhoodwas filled with the sounds of The Beatles, Dusty Springfield, Elton John, The Rolling Stones, Herman`s Hermits, Eric Clapton, The Who, Tom Jones, The Kinks, and Van Morrison. I developed an early appreciation for the classics that ruled the airwaves of the oldies radio stations my mom and dad favoured.

Then, like many children of the 1980s, I became preoccupied with the medicine of The Smiths, Wham!, Depeche Mode, Elvis Costello and The Attractions, The Police, Tears for Fears, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Culture Club, Duran Duran, The Human League, OMD, Sheena Easton, Pet Shop Boys, XTC, New Order, and The Clash. I would fluctuate between new wave neon paired with acid washed jeans, and all black ensembles that included a well-worn pair of Doc Martens.

In the 1990s, I listened to Annie Lennox, The Sundays, U2, Sinad O`Connor, Oasis, Massive Attack, Bush, Morrissey, Happy Mondays, Blur, Jamiroquai, Sade, Nick Drake, Sting, Radiohead, and yes, The Spice Girls. I also worked in a book store for a while during this time period, which fully enabled my already out-of-control music habit.

In the final decade, I`ve surrounded myself with the sounds of Amy Winehouse, Travis, Coldplay, Jem, Corinne Bailey Rae, Damien Rice, Lily Allen, Dido, Gorillaz, Joss Stone, David Gray, Muse, Jamie Cullum, KT Tunstall, Duffy, and Zero 7. I`m always stunned when I feel at my music collection and see exactly how many gifted artists from England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland have contributed to the soundtrack of my life.

These days, there are several more talented artists from the UK in regular rotation on myiPod. Some of these acts you may be conversant with becausethey have receivedsome much-deserved accolades and industry recognition. And about of them you may not have heard of before now, as they`re in the action of trying tobreak through toU.S. audiences. But all of them make this in common: they are incredibly talented, and certainly worth checking out. Here they are, in random order, for your listening pleasure.

  1. Mumford& Sons. I was introduced to this amazing band at the origin of 2010 by a supporter of mine who lives in London. Since that time,their music has becomevery special to me. Their sound is quintessentially English, and will give you tapping your feet and singing on in no time flat. Theseblokes from Londonsell out shows and festivalsin the UK in mere minutes,so Ifelt extremelylucky to give had the chance to see them do in a small jazz club in Phoenix, Arizona this past summer. Nominated for the prestigious Mercury MusicPrize as good astwo Grammy Awards, if I had but one news to describe Mumford & Sons, it would be this: mind-blowing. Listen: Awake My Soul, Little Lion Man, White Blank Page
  2. Laura Marling. I first discovered this gifted English songstress in 2009, and I have been in jazz with her beautiful voice ever since. Originally from Hampshire, England, she has been twice nominated for the Mercury Music Prize. At only 20 days of age with a seasoned sound that continues to wow audiences the man over, she`s released several EPs, and two full-length albums. Marling`s gift for songwriting is staggering, and luckily for all of us, she often collaborates and tours with Mumford & Sons and Johnny Flynn (see #5). Listen: New Romantic, Goodbye England (Covered In Snow), Blues Run the Game
  3. Lee MacDougall. This talented singer/songwriter is from the historic town of Grimsby on the e coast of England. Lee is a headliner on the procession to be sure, and he puts on a wonderful live show. I was fortunate enough to get a London performance of his at The Purple Room in Hammersmith this past October. Lee`s sound-along with his witty banter between songs-had the audience thoroughly captivated and thirsting for more. MacDougall has a present for storytelling, and his songs have brilliant hooks that get stuck in my mind for days. My favorite song of his is called Joanna, and whilst it`s not yet available for purchase, it is on YouTube and is really worth a listen. Lee will be embarking on a U.S. tour in early 2011, so save your eyes peeled for a point near you. Listen: She, FallingInLoveForTheLastTime, How To Be
  4. Eliza Doolittle. This cheeky young lady from London is a new musical find for me. She was recently featured on a Los Angeles radio station that I mind to online, and from exactly the first few bars of her song Skinny Genes, I fell head over heels in bed with her sound. If you`re a fan of the legendary Lily Allen and Kate Nash (see #18), you`ll love Eliza. Listen: Skinny Genes, Pack Up, Running For Life
  5. Johnny Flynn. A supporter of Mumford & Sons and Laura Marling, this brilliant artist was elevated in Hampshire and rural West Wales, is half-brother to English actor/musician Jerome Flynn, and went to train with Luke Pritchard of The Kooks (see #11). Johnny`s first album, A Larum, with his lot The Sussex Wit, is leading and he recently released his back full-length album, Been Listening. I saw his appearance at a little club in Scottsdale, Arizona in November, and was utterly charmed by his performance, as good as his humble demeanour. He performed solo, with only his part and his guitar, and he brought the theatre down. Flynn`s sound is unique, timeless, and could well be from another era. It`s difficult to think he`s only 27 years old. Listen: The Box, The Water (featuring Laura Marling), Kentucky Pill
  6. Camera Obscura. I`ve been a fan of this indie pop band from Glasgow, Scotland for the final 4 years, and their offerings just keep getting better and better. Their excellent 2006 album, Let`s Get Out of This Country, contained an answer song to the legendary Lloyd Cole and The Commotions` track Are You Make To Be Heartbroken?. Their brilliant 2009 release, My Maudlin Career, gets quite a lot of airplay on my iPod. Camera Obscura`s sound is sugary, upbeat, and fair plain fun. Listen: Lloyd, I`m Ready to be Heartbroken, French Navy, The Sweetest Thing
  7. Bobby Long. Born in Wigan, near Manchester, this English singer/songwriter has a sound that far exceeds his years, and wish his friends and contemporaries Marcus Foster (see #19) and Sam Bradley (see #24), he writes beautiful, haunting songs. Long`s debut album, A Winter`s Tale, will be released in February of 2011, and he`ll be touring the States about the same time. Listen: The Bounty of Mary Jane, Left to Lie, Being a Mockingbird
  8. Adele. This Grammy award-winning songstress from Tottenham is one of the best known artists on this list, yet I even come across people who haven`t heard of her. Adele`s voice brings me to tears; it has that goose-pimply quality that makes people stay in their tracks and ask, "Who is this?" Her back full-length album is scheduled to be released in early 2011. I, for one, can`t wait. Listen: Chasing Pavements, Make You Find My Love, Right As Rain
  9. Passenger. Pandora gets all the citation for my discovery of Passenger. I heard the song Night Vision Binoculars whilst listening to a station I`d created based off of Florence the Machine (see #16). The path is basically an anthem for stalkers, but it`s so catchy and cunning that I made mention of the artist. Once a five-piece band from Brighton fronted by singer/songwriter Mike Rosenberg, Passenger is now a one-man show. And what a record it is. Listen: Night Vision Binoculars, The One You Love, Golden Thread
  10. The School. Originally from Cardiff, Wales, The School falls inside the same genre as Camera Obscura with their catchy hooks, dreamy melodies, and stellar female lead vocals. iTunes recommended this fun pop band to me based on previous purchases, and although I`m fairly new to their music, they had me once I heard Let It Slip. Listen: Valentine, Let It Slip, All I Wanna Do
  11. The Kooks. Gavin and Stacey was more than one of my favourite television shows; it was likewise a case for excellent music. I first heard the song She Moves In Her Own Way by The Kooks in the real first episode, and I used the Shazam app on my call to distinguish it. I`ve been a fan of this indie pop band from Brighton ever since. Listen: She Moves In Her Own Way, Ooh La, Always Where I Want To Be
  12. Noisettes. My entry to this indie rock & soul band from London came when a friend shared a connection of their embrace of The Killers` song When You Were Young for BBC Radio 1`s Live Lounge. A bit of YouTube sleuthing on my voice for their early songs, and what can I say? I agree wholeheartedly when they croon the words Never Leave You, because I won`t. Listen: Never Leave You, Atticus, Cheap Kicks
  13. Stephen Fretwell. This artist is another Gavin and Stacey discovery. Originally from Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire in England, Fretwell`s song Run was really the theme song for the show. Once I observed his album Magpie, I knew I`d stumbled upon something really special. Listen: Run; Bad Bad You, Bad Bad Me; Lines
  14. Kerry Leatham. This talented singer/songwriter from London was another iTunes recommendation. Her song Do You See Me? (Bluff) was the path that initially reeled me in, but after hearing her heartbreakingly beautiful song A Different Light, I became a true fan of her musical stories and sound. Listen: Do You See Me? (Bluff), Different Light, Clever Trickery
  15. Paolo Nutini. It`s awesome to me that this Scotsman is only 23 days of age. My entry to Paolo came when I heard his song New Shoes on a tv show a few days back. I can also say that after seeing a charming interview with him on The Graham Norton Show last year, I now accept a squeeze on the man himself, not only his voice. Listen: New Shoes, Rewind, Pencil Full of Lead
  16. Florence the Machine. Florence Welch is a goddess. The principal vocalist of this London-based indie rock band can fetch you to your knees with her haunting, ethereal vocals. Nominated for a 2009 Mercury Prize, a 2011 Grammy Award, and later an incredible performance at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, Florence the Car are presently taking America by storm. And truly so. Listen: Dog Days Are Over, Hurricane Drunk, Heavy In Your Arms
  17. Mark Ronson. I was a fan of Mark Ronson before I even really knew who he was. This English DJ/guitarist/music producer`s work with Adele, Lily Allen, and Amy Winehouse made quite an impact on me before I happened upon his own albums, Here Comes the Fuzz and Version. He recently released his 3rd album, Record Collection, as good as produced Duran Duran`s new album, All You Want Is Now, which is scheduled for free in December 2010. Listen: Oh My God (featuring Lily Allen), Valerie (featuring Amy Winehouse), Bang Bang Bang (featuring Q-Tip and MNDR)
  18. Kate Nash. Nash writes music that speaks straight to the center of any woman who has always been in a kinship that failed. Dublin born and London raised, her songs are honest, catchy, and absolutely hilarious. This 2008 Brit Awards winner for Best Female Artist released her back full-length album, My Better Friend Is You, in early 2010. I`m hopeful that a U.S. tour will soon follow. Listen: Foundations, Merry Happy, Kiss That Grrrl
  19. Marcus Foster. This London singer/songwriter has a poignant, unique sound, and cites Tom Waits and Bob Dylan as two of his musical influences. He recently signed his first record deal, will be touring the U.S. in 2011, and succeeds in early forms of aesthetic expression as well; he studied sculpture at the Royal College of Art. Listen: I Don`t Mind, 14 Times, Way Way Way
  20. The Script. One of the best known acts on this list, I first heard The Hand when I saw the picture for their touching song, The Man Who Can`t Be Moved. This ring from Dublin, Ireland will turn their second full-length album, Science & Faith, in the U.S. in early 2011. Had I known it wasn`t yet available stateside, I would have snagged myself a copy when I was in London back in October. But patience is a virtue, after all. Listen: The Man Who Can`t Be Moved, Breakeven, For The Start Time
  21. Imogen Heap. I was a vast fan of the British electronic duo Frou Frou, and have kept tabs on Imogen Heap ever since I heard her lovely vocals on their album, Details. From the London Borough of Havering, this Grammy-nominated songstress and composer`s music has been exploited in countless tv shows and films. Her uncommon sound, combined with her brilliant voice, is a stirring combination. Listen: Goodnight And Go, Hide and Seek, Half Life
  22. Mystery Jets. I observed this amusing 5-piece indie band from Eel Pie Island in Twickenham whilst doing a look for Laura Marling songs. Someone reviewing their latest album, Serotonin, on iTunes described their voice as a hybrid between The Beatles and New Order, but 25 years later. I believe that`s a fairly accurate description. Listen: Young Love (featuring Laura Marling), Two Doors Down, Show Me the Light
  23. The Ting Tings. Fun is the book that comes to psyche when describing The Ting Tings. Theirs is the case of medicine you dance to when you`re all alone, and talk along to while blasting it in the car. This Manchester/London indie pop duo formed back in 2007, and leave be releasing their second full-length album in 2011. Be disposed for their infectious hooks to occupy your brain. Listen: That`s Not My Name, Be the One, Shut Up and Let Me Go
  24. Sam Bradley. Sam Bradley has rather a soulful sound and healthy for being only 23 days of age. A supporter of fellow singer/songwriters and Londoners Bobby Long and Marcus Foster, Bradley released his second EP, Zuni, in November of 2010. Here`s hoping for a full-length album and a lot of U. S. tour dates from this gifted young man in the upcoming year. Listen: Sea Blue, Passport, Wide Open
  25. Bad Lieutenant. A supporter of mine with great taste in music introduced me to Bad Lieutenant last year, and it was beloved at first sound. This English alternative rock band formed in 2007, and is a beautiful joining of about of the other members of New Order. Their debut album, Never Cry Another Tear, also features appearances from members of Blur, and they`ve recently toured with the likes of the Pet Shop Boys. Listen: Split the Atom, Sink or Swim, Shine Like the Sun

What UK artists make your must-listen-to list?

Amie initially caught Anglophiliain herchildhood, although she didn`trealise there was a right figure for it at the time.A native Arizonan, she lives in Phoenix andworks in education, writing and developing curriculum for a major university. After her first travel to London in 2009, she made a call to herself to visit Englandeach year-for at least a week-until she eventually moves there. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment