Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dido Music Info: Diary of a Desperate Exmoor Woman: Limping

05052011090 Diary of a Desperate Exmoor Woman: LimpingUp into the woods.park on green with pinpoints of campion and bluebells and wild garlic. Bracken unfurling, giving up secrets. May bursting outcrazy like it couldn't get a toss. No music in my earsfor once, just birdsong - guttural croak of pheasant; pure poignancy of blackbird. More honest sounds maybe.
We stop at my thinking spot, so high now, and look down at the river far below.

You can scarcely see the babble/Babel from here. I scribble furiously in my notebook. Breathe.Scribble. Breathe.

Going uphill is ok but coming down is hard, so hard. The SP watches me; he looks worried, my little dog angel. 'S'okay,' I see him.'I'll let it easy.Sometimes you get to take it one step at a time.' Place each foot carefully; pickthe path cautiously.
And we get down just fine. And we go through town, where everyone smiles andsays 'hello' and yet I don't feel at home (but that's another post). And come in and get coffee and a CD pokes its nose out, without a cover, begging to be played. Dido - Life for Rent. Well, well. I haven't listened to this for years. So I do.
And so I begin thinking more about this limping thing. And remember the wondrous Dr House (Hugh Laurie), the arch limper. And so, let's leave this post withthe good physician.
Dr. House: Nothing matters. We're all just cockroaches, wildebeests dying on the river bank. Nothing we do has any lasting meaning.
Evan Greer: And you think I'm miserable?
Dr. House: If you're unhappy on the plane, jump out of it.
Evan Greer: I want to, but I can't.
Dr. House: That's the difficulty with metaphors. They need interpretation. Jumping out of the plane is stupid.
Evan Greer: But what if I'm not in a plane? What if I'm scarce in a place I don't want to be?
Dr. House: That's the other job with metaphors. Yes, what if you're actually in an ice cream truck, and external are candy and flowers and virgins? You're on a plane! We're all on planes. Life is dangerous and complicated, and it's a long way down.

Ain't it just? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment