Friday, October 29, 2010

mp.songsstore

Review by Terry Mesnard for FoiledRating: The matter about Blue October that is leaving to be, and has been, a roadblock for them is that they don`t actually own a "mainstream niche."Take a face at "History for Sale" and you will see now what I`m talking about.The songs range from folk, to harder rock to most everything in between.

ou`ll see some country-ish music, their big hit from that album "Calling You" was definitely pop-ish.It`s very eclectic and not contented with being one genre.A similar, at times even more so, situation happens with their new album, "Foiled."

You`re going to see a lot of disparate reviews here.For somebody who purchases this album thinking he or she is loss to get an entire album of "Hate Me"-esqe songs, he or she will invariably be disappointed.The journey will involve touching on more folk, hard rock, pop, dance music, music that seems influenced by the 80s (and reminds me of a Dido song), etc etc.Are the individual songs bad?No, I don`t mean one call on here is bad.They are all different though.I find to not like dance music and so I don`t really care fo "X-Amount Of Words."I`m more a fan of hard music, or medicine with an inch to it so I really like "Hate Me" and, even more so, "Drilled A Cable Through My Cheek."However, the next reviewer will likely be the precise opposite.

And here is where they are leaving to make that trouble I spoke about earlier.None of the songs are unified around a i or couple genres.Justin and crew effortlessly surf through the different genres and feels without much care.For people like me, it`s not a problem.I make a very eclectic taste in medicine and I like nearly every song on this cd.But for others, the wide divergence might not do it for them.I bet there will be at least one strain on this album for everyone.But for a soul who doesn`t like the other genres, this album might be a bit off.

Which is a shame.One matter about Blue October`s songs is that they are filled with some terrific lyrics, whether melancholy or upbeat.And each song really fits in with the spirit of the lyrics, blending together perfectly.It`s a terrific cd that is a roller-coaster of both emotions and song types that is never subject to simply sit there.

I do think Blue October is at the top of their back when they talk their harder music like "Drilled A Cable Through My Face" and I mean it would be absolutely terrific to see an album comprised of stone in this mold.But they aren`t going to do that because they obviously like a full array of music.I remember them for it, but I cringe because it`s release to be a hard treck.Fortunately for me, it`s one I`m willing to go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment