Thursday, October 7, 2010

Behind the music: What's the mystery to penning a hit?

MiddleEnglandLefty

As I suspected, your mind of what constitutes great in music terms is virtuousity,

Not exactly - I`ve suffered through enough displays of virtuosity which were void and unconvincing, and enjoyed many others where love and conviction easily transcended any limitations of mere technique to form a `large` performance - like Neil Young, for example - and even Jimmy Smith is best laying into it with that `resolve` you mention.

Let`s be clear: I didn`t say Guy is a virtuoso, that's silly, I recognized him as a keen musician, for reasons already stated. Plus the above.He takes a ground of education and years of practice and formal study, and turns them without pretension in quest of that `feeling` of performance ingredient which makes popular music happen.I don`t believe he gives much of a toss for vistuosity - I do acknowledge that his work stress is on meeting the demands of the job.Much care a commercial artist is capable to do all their artist to serve and see the sight and goal of a customer who may know aught about art (but knows what they like).The form of act I think you may need to drop as `hack`, and do I see your point, but those humilities of professionalism still impress me as `great` qualities. Whatever I intend of some Guardian music articles, consistently delivering useable copy to deadline is a rare skill, albeit 'hack'.I can`t conceive of anyone `great` who doesn't/didn't have that ethic of self-discipline. Maybe you can. Maybe I admire it so often because of my own challenges in merging the same measure.

Hey I'm in a hotel in a foreign city and bored, nothing better to do than trade jabs with a lightweight.

Hope you own a worthwhile trip.My purpose here is to maintain an old friend against ill-informed comment.Your intent seems to be personal attack.I don`t take any trouble with that - but it has zip to do with Chambers - if you truly need to trade jabs with a lightweight, perhaps there is a better venue for it than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment