Thursday, November 11, 2010

So Hip It Hurts: big daddy of the rhythm

Rarely does a label produce a really perfect singles collection. Often, it feels like somebody in the finance department out them together. It's as if they randomly decided they required some new "product" out there to stir among the dwindling amount of music consumers. Sometimes a quick rehash for cash is thrown out there like chum to the ever fewer circling sharks in the water. Always hoping for a bite.

owever, when somebody decides to do it right, fans of a specific group will lavish praise on that collection. Also, any mistakes will get to fall by the trainspotters.Recently, the UK division of Sony decided to release "That's The Way I Like It: The Better Of Short Or Alive". A collective yawn was heard across the kingdom. In fact, anyone who owned "Evolution - The Hits", released in 2003, probably passed over this latest DOA compilation.However, there is reason for celebration. The new collection features ALL of Short Or Alive's singles released on Epic. Each course is delineated by the adaptation that appeared on the original 7" single. Huzzah!You see, more than half of these tracks have never previously appeared on CD. That's a shocking surprise to most people considering we're more than two decades into the existence of the shiny, silver configuration. The skimpy booklet is the sole reason for complaint.In celebration of the 25th anniversary of DOA's seminal, electro-disco classic, "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)", I introduce to you the tracklisting for "That's The Way I Wish It: The Better Of Short Or Alive". Please place your youth regimens to me scribbled on a cocktail napkin."That's The Way I Wish It: The Better Of Short Or Alive"1. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)2. That's The Way (I Wish It) (7" Version)3. Lover Come Second To Me4. In Too Deep (7" Remix)5. My Spirit Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (7" Version)6. Brand New Lover (7" Single Mix)7. Something In My House (7" Single Mix)8. Hooked On Love9. I'll Keep You All My Kisses (7" Remix)10. Turn About And Bet 2 Ten (7" Single Mix)11. Come Home With Me Baby (7" Mix)12. Misty Circles (7" Version)13. What I Want (7" Version)14. I'd Do Anything (7" Version)15. Lover Come Second To Me (Extended Remix)16. My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (American Wipe-Out Mix)17. Something In My House (Mortevicar Mix)18. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) (Murder Mix)As a healthy bonus, four extended remixes, - all of which experience never appeared on CD (according to the liner notes on the back inlay card) - have been tacked onto the end of the collection. Each one features more than a daily serving Pete Burns' cavernous bravado. But if my memory serves me correctly, I have "Lover Come Second To Me (Extended Remix)" and "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) (Murder Mix)" on a span of other compilations."What was my first Dead Or Alive purchase?", I see you ask with wide-eyed wonder?Oh, the countless dollars I spent on the many configurations. Designers sure were having a field day back then. And Suddenly Or Alive certainly didn't spare any expense on their packaging. The double pack gatefold 7", the remix 12", the picture disc and much more. It seemed endless. And so there was the little thing of the special 12" releases from Japan. Oy!I first saw the picture for "I'd Do Anything" - a sleazy, funk workout - on MTV back in the day before they applied standards and practices to their programming.Pete Burns' playful presence and raw sexuality commanded your attention. Look at those cheekbones! The easiness of the video certainly had impact. Besides, who doesn't enjoy a hot, serif font?Just imagine how it stirred the teenage version of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment