Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sarah's Book Reviews: Review: Dido - Adele Geras

Review: Dido - Adele Geras
Aeneas leaned forward a slight and kissed her on the mouth. Just one swift, soft impact of his lips on hers and so he turned and walked away.
Love can be deadly. Especially when two young women fall for the same man - one a queen, the former a serving maid.Elissa knows she is acting with fire, but she can't resist.

Queen Dido suspects nothing, until one fateful night . Secrets are revealed, hearts are low and as morning breaks, a horrific tragedy unfolds.A passionate tale of love, betrayal and revenge.Adele Geras' books based on classical Greek Myths: Troy Ithaka Dido Visit Adele Geras' websitefor more informationReview: This is the tale of Queen Dido and nursemaid Elissa and their passion for Trojan prince Aeneas. Dido and Aeneas are married but Aeneas is going to fulfil his fortune and Dido is distraught. Elissa has fallen in love withthe Queen's husband, she knows it is incorrect but she just can'thelp herself. The events of the bible take place over one fateful night but we read of events over the previous 2 days in the form of flashbacks from various characters. Dido and Elissa's tale is wide of secrets, jealousy and lies - can if have anything other than a tragic ending?Dido is a re-telling of a classic Greek myth, I make to profess that I don't know lots about Greek mythology so I don't recognize the original story & can't compare this word to it. However, I can say how often I enjoyed reading Dido and what a grand job Adel Geras has done bringing these characters to life. The floor is told by 4 different narrators - nursemaid Elissa, Dido's sister Anna, Poet Iopas and kitchen boy Cubby. Sometimes I find having multiple narrators can work for a confusing read but Adele Geras has done such a neat job of giving each ofthemindividual voices that I ground it easy switching between them. The way the report is told through flashbacks by the different narrators really added to the story, allowing the referee to see events from different perspectives and discover the character's feelings and motives. I know the way various Greek Gods& Goddesses are brought to living and give appearances throughout the book meddling in the lives of the various characters. Although I give to say that the second one appears to me I'll be run in the reverse way as quick as I possibly can because even when they think well they take a knack of causing more damage than good! I thoroughly enjoyed the history and am looking ahead to reading Adele's other books based on Greek mythology - Troy and Ithakas.Source: Thanks to RHCB for sending me this record for reviewOther reviews of this book:Chrissie's Corner If you have reviewed this reserve on your blog please provide a connection to your inspection in the comments & I'll add the link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment